Fiesta Stuffed Acorn Squash
Put a seasonal spin on your next "Taco Tuesday" with this semi spicy comfort food!
1 lb 93/7 organic grass-fed beef
2 acorn squash (each cut in half, seeds removed
5 tsp oil (avocado, olive)
4 medium diced mushrooms (1 cup)
1 diced yellow, red, or orange pepper (1 cup)
4 Tbsp. salsa
Dashes (to taste) of the following: salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic
Shredded cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 (convection roast if possible, or bake at 400)
2. Cut acorn squash in half and remove seeds. You may have to also cut the top stem and bottom pointed edge if you want the squash to sit flat when prepared.
3. Place the squash halves large side up on a baking stone or pan and drizzle 1 tsp oil and a pinch of sea salt and pepper over each half.
4. Flip squash halves over (open sides facing down) and bake/roast for 25-35 min. Depending on oven. Squash will be soft all the way through when ready.
5. While squash is cooking, brown ground beef over medium heat and crumble.
When beef is almost cooked through, add diced veggies, 1 tsp oil, salsa, and spices to taste. Cook an additional 5 minutes until veggies soften. Remove from heat when cooked through
6. When squash is cooked through, remove from oven and flip, so the open sides are up, and fill each half with ¼ of the beef & veggie mixture
7. Top with shredded cheese if desired
8. Return to oven and bake an additional 5-10 minutes
Any chopped veggies you like can be substituted/added to the mixture! Tomatoes, kale, or onions would be great options!
Ready in 40 minutes
Serves 4 people
390 calories (without cheese)
20.6 g Fat
28.8 g Carbs
24.4 g Protein